And then I ironed some more….
And some more… until it was perfectly smooth (side note, that’s not my beautiful kitchen in the below photograph… ours is perhaps the ugliest room you’ve ever seen. These beautiful cabinets are at my parents house – jealous?)
Once the fabric is ironed, it’s time to do some math. This was by far my least favorite part of this project, and the part I was definitely the worst at. Thank god for my mom! She corrected it several times, but let me see if I can recap how you need to measure.
Write down the length and width of the window. Once you have that, decide if you want your shade to be the exact length and width, or how much wider than the window you want your shade to be. If you want the shade to be wider than the window, add on the amount you want it to be wider to each side (for example, if the window is 40″ wide, and you want an additional inch on each side, add two inches, for a total shade width of 42 inches).
If you are lining this, it gets a bit more complicated. You’ll want your printed fabric to wrap around to the back side of the shade, and the lining to be less wide, so add on additional width for the fabric to wrap around to width you’ve already estimated (if you want the printed fabric to wrap around 2″ on each side, add an additional 4″. Make sense??
Finally, keep about 5 extra inches of “front side” fabric for wrapping around the piece of wood for mounting – no lining fabric needed here. You can cut off extra fabric later if you don’t end up needing it, but you can’t really add more on if you are short!
Ok, once the measurements are made, and your fabric is cut, start pinning the lining to the fabric. As you are pinning, you want the print side of the fabric to be face up, and the lining to be on top. This way once you sew the seams, and you turn it “inside out” so the seams face in, and the print faces out.
When you have finished pinning, the fabric will look odd – each side sort or folded over – that’s because the lining is more narrow than the front facing fabric for the extra length to wrap around (so you don’t see the seams or lining from the side once the shade is finished).
This picture below is how it should look.
Ok onto sewing. Set up the sewing machine (I could not help explain this step, but if you sew, just follow the instructions with the bobbin, etc), and sew along the seams, taking the pins out as you go.
After both seams are sewn, flip it inside out… or “right side out” I guess, and iron it again, so the fabric edge is even on both sides.
It should look like the below picture from the back side, with the lining not going all the way to the edge.
Next step is to get out the measuring tape again, and start marking off where the rings will go. Ignore the wrinkles in this photo, it started out ironed, but got wrinkled after sitting folded on the table for three months.
I wanted fewer, larger folds, so I pinned every 17″ or so for a 70″ window, I got 4 pleats.
A note I left out above was that at the bottom of the shade, I inserted a wooden dowel cut down to the width of the window, and sewed it in. This rod inside the bottom of the shade acts as a weight so that when the shade is pulled up, it hangs properly. You can kind of see the rod in the above picture. Some people put these dowels up the entire length where each fold will be, but I didn’t find it was necessary. My shade pulls up just fine – perhaps my fabric is heavy enough (and I ironed the folds in, so it has the memory).
Anyways, getting back to the point… sew three vertical rows of these rings onto the shade. One on each side, and one in the middle.
Be sure these rings are really secured on there – they are what is supporting the shade when it’s pulled up and down – I used a drop of super glue to make sure the rings and thread were super secure. I’m not sure this is necessary, but I feel better about it.
And here it is from the side.. pretty awesome…
And the pleats from the front – this was completely accidental, but the pattern is perfectly lined up – cause I’m a ballerrrrrrr!!
Here is a close up of the pulley system in action, along with the mounts…
And a final glory shot of the curtain, hanging in the hallway – it’s so pretty, although in these pictures, I am completely realizing that I forgot to wrap the side of the wood mount. I painted it white, but I’m not loving that unfinished edge. I’ll have to go back in with a little hot glue gun, and swatch of fabric to finish off the ends!
If you are thinking of attempting a roman shade of your own and have some questions, just shoot me an email! I could NOT have done this without my mama’s help!